The town is named for Stone Mountain, the largest exposed granite dome in North America. Stone Mountain harbors plant and animal life found no other place in the world. It is also the site of a famous giant carving commemorating the military leaders of the Confederacy as well as a state park and museum, including a steam railroad.
The historic train depot is home to the former City Hall and the Police Department. The South wing of the depot was constructed in 1856. The north wing was constructed in 1914. It is the oldest structure that was burned by General Sherman durning the Civil War that is still in use today.